Your Credit Reporting Rights

Your Credit Reporting Rights in Schaumburg

Inaccurate Information on Your Credit Report? We Can Help!

Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion, the three major credit bureaus in the U.S., occasionally list inaccurate information on credit reports. Unfortunately, regardless of whether the information stated about you is correct or not, this can damage your credit if you are not careful.

If you have tried to get errors on your credit report fixed but have encountered resistance instead, the legal team at Attorney Joseph P. Doyle may be able to help. We are available to discuss your case during a free consultation to ensure you understand your rights and to protect those rights if they are violated.

Contact us to learn more about your rights during a free initial consultation.

What Are My Rights Regarding My Credit Report?

If they refuse to correct mistakes on your credit report after receiving a dispute letter, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) allows American consumers to file a lawsuit against the credit bureaus as well as any company who supplied inaccurate information to the credit bureaus. You may also be able to receive monetary damages of up to $1000.

Recoverable damages may also include:

  • Any extra interest you paid due to creditors increasing the interest rates on your credit cards,
  • Denials of loan applications
  • Punitive damages (in some cases), and
  • Medical expenses that resulted from stress.

How to View Your Credit Report

TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax are required by law to provide consumers with one free copy of their credit report each year. You can request your report by contacting the credit bureaus individually or by using the website

If you notice errors on any of your reports, send a letter requesting the information be corrected. Until your reports are updated, make sure to save all copies of your reports as well as all correspondence with the credit bureaus as evidence.

How Can I Dispute Errors?

sometimes misreport information from public court records, such as reporting a judgment in your favor as a judgment against you. It may mistakenly report that debt remains unpaid or was paid late, or that debt was included in bankruptcy when you did not file bankruptcy.

To dispute errors:

  • Send a letter (or email, if applicable) to each credit bureau reporting the inaccurate information. Explain why the information is incorrect along with any proof you have to support your dispute.
  • The credit bureaus will notify the source of the disputed information and request verification after receiving your letter.
  • If any of the credit bureaus requests additional information from you, send it their way as soon as possible.
  • Wait for the errors to be corrected on your report.

If the errors are not corrected for any reason despite the validity of your evidence to the contrary, bring the correspondence, credit reports, and any other relevant information you have saved to a Schaumburg credit reporting rights lawyer at Attorney Joseph P. Doyle.

Contact Attorney Joseph P. Doyle Today!

It is vitally important to get inaccurate information in your credit report fixed, and fast. Otherwise, you may have trouble getting approved for loans, housing, and more based on misinformation.

Don’t let your credit suffer unnecessarily. Get in touch with us online or call (312) 957-8077 to discuss your case today.

Get an Opportunity for a Fresh Start

Bankruptcy is an Opportunity for a Fresh Start

Take The First Step to Rebuild Your Future

Schedule a Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.