Fixing Errors on Your Credit Report

Mistakes happen all the time and, unfortunately, they are not rare when it comes to incorrect information on credit reports. According to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the top complaint received involved incorrect or inaccurate information listed on credit reports. That is why it is essential for everyone to monitor the content of their credit report.

How to Fix an Error

Once you detect an error on your credit report, you must contact the organization that gave you the information to the credit bureau and the credit bureau itself. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, both of these parties are responsible for rectifying such errors on your credit report.

First, you should reach out to the credit bureau and tell them which items on your credit report may be inaccurate. Assuming they do not believe the disputes are frivolous, they are required to investigate the items you bring to their attention within 30 days. It is crucial to provide copies of documents that support your claim.

Additionally, within this communication, you should:

  • Provide your complete address and name
  • Explain why you dispute the information by stating the facts
  • Request either a correction or deletion

You will also need to write to the appropriate creditor, similarly explaining the same points you made to the credit bureau. If changes are not made and the provider gives the same information to a bureau, it will also have to include a notice of your dispute.

Disagreeing with the Credit Bureau’s Investigation

Of course, just because you reported the error does not mean the credit bureau will agree with you and fix the information. If you disagree with their investigation, your next step would be to reach out to an attorney to help you resolve your dispute.

Reach Out to Our Experienced Bankruptcy Attorney for a Free Consultation!

If you were unable to resolve an error on your credit report, the legal team at Attorney Joseph P. Doyle can assist you. Our knowledgeable attorney will work with you, so you can achieve the most favorable results for your case.

Call our law firm today at (312) 957-8077 to request a free initial case evaluation with our skilled attorney to learn more about what we can do to help you with your credit reporting issues.